If your car is still under warranty, you need to take it to the dealer for work that is still covered. However, routine maintenance work can be done anywhere. But, how do you know where to go? Listed below are some steps to help you pick the right place:
- Check around to see if there are shops that specialize in your type of vehicle. They will have the know-how to fix your car.
- Ask friends and family where they take their cars and if they are happy with the service they receive.
- The Internet is a good source to find out information on local mechanics. Check out www.angieslist.com, www.repairpal.com and www.cartalk.com.
- Make sure the shop you choose is certified by the ASE (National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence).
- Visit www.bbb.org (Better Business Bureau) for any complaints made to the shop you are considering.
- Always inquire about warranties on work that is performed.